I am in a crisis. I am thinking about suicide. Where can I go for help?

If you are experiencing an emotional crisis, family crisis or having suicidal thoughts, talking to someone may help. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline has trained counselors available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Don’t wait. Call Now! 1-800-273-TALK (8255).

You can also call 911, your physician or visit your local hospital’s emergency room if you believe you are a danger to yourself or others. You can ask for a Crisis Intervention Trained (CIT) officer to respond.

You can call Jackson County Mental Health Crisis: 541-744-8201 or 911 (7 days a week, 24 hours a day)

Josephine County Mental Health Crisis Services: 541-474-5360 or 911 (7 days a week, 24 hours a day)

Does NAMI offer legal advice, or have a listing of lawyers?

Our national organization, NAMI, has a Legal Center that receives daily calls from members and the public requesting legal assistance. They created a lawyer referral panel as a service to those in need of legal assistance.

NAMI’s Legal Center requires attorneys on the Lawyer Referral Panel to complete questionnaires regarding their specialties, fees, education and liability insurance.

Communications to the center remain confidential, as does the attorney information. They do not verify qualifications or credentials of attorneys on our panel, and supplement their listings with the Disability Law Directory of the American Bar Association, the Directory of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, the National Legal Aid and Defender Association Directory and the Directory of Local Pro Bono Programs.

You may contact the NAMI Legal Center by e-mail (legal@nami.org) or by calling 703-524-7600. Please furnish your full name, address with zip code and telephone number to help us find legal aid in your area.

The American Bar Association has an online database of pro-bono attorneys. They also offer guidelines for finding free legal assistance.

For more information, see the online database of pro-bono attorneys and guidelines for finding free legal assistance.

You may also wish to consult the state-by-state listing of attorneys.

How do I apply for financial assistance because of my disability?

Check with your personal care doctor. They should be able to direct you in the right direction.

How do I file a complaint against a mental health care facility/professional?

Complaints about an individual physician/psychiatrist – If the physician/psychiatrist works for a hospital or agency, you may contact the doctor’s supervisor. You can also file a complaint with the state medical board, or, if are a member, the American Psychiatric Association (APA) (some psychiatrists are members, some are not). The APA might also refer you to its APA District Branch or state psychiatric society.

Complaints about other MH Professionals – If employed by a hospital or agency, you may file complaints with the therapist’s Supervisor, the Hospital Ombudsman or Administrator. Therapists are regulated by their licensing boards (e.g. the State Board of health and mental hygiene, counseling or other licensing board). They may also be members of their professional associations (National Association of Social Workers, the American Psychological Association, etc.). The State NAMI may have the appropriate number and listing.

JCAHO (Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations) – Complaint Hotline at 800-994-6610 — JCAHO accredits hospitals, home health agencies, nursing homes, laboratories, outpatient clinics, behavioral health care programs and managed care plans, among others. Complaints should be related to patient rights, care of patients, safety, infection control, medication use and/or security (and not billing, insurance or payment disputes).

Complaints about a CMHC (community mental health center) – You may file a complaint with the state mental health agency. Medicaid and Medicare recipients with complaints about the CMHCs have the following options: Medicare beneficiaries may contact the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Regional Medicare Office and the state Peer Review Organization; Medicaid beneficiaries may contact the state Medicaid official and perhaps the state Medical Review Board. Your State and Local NAMI Affiliates may be able to assist you as well.

Filing Lawsuits: You should seek a private attorney. For more information, see NAMI National Guidelines on How to Find an Attorney. State bar listings may be found at Martin Dale.

I am in need of health insurance. Can you help me?

Call NAMI Oregon at 503-230-8009 or 800-343-6264 for more information on Cover Oregon, the Oregon Insurance Pool Governing Board  503-373-1692.

I am/my friend/family member is newly diagnosed with a mental illness. What do I do now?

NAMI of Southern Oregon has educational training programs for Individuals and family members, plus support groups in Josephine and Jackson counties.

I cannot afford my medication/doctor’s fees. Where can I go for financial assistance?

NAMI cannot provide direct financial assistance, however, some pharmaceutical companies offer prescription assistance programs for low-income individuals and families. These programs typically require a doctor’s consent and proof of financial status. They may also require that you have either no health insurance or no prescription drug benefits.

I don’t know how to cope with my friend/family member who has a mental illness. Can NAMI help me?

NAMI offers an array of education and training programs and services for individuals with mental illness, family members, providers and the general public. These programs draw on the experience of those who have learned to live well with their illnesses and are eager to help others, as well as the expertise of mental health professionals and educators. Check out our Programs and Support page.

I need a doctor/mental health care facility that specializes in a specific disorder. Can NAMI help me?

NAMI does not supply a list of mental health professionals or treatment facilities. You may check our Resources page for sites that may provide guidance.

My employer is not treating me fairly because I have a mental illness. What can I do to fight this?

Check with the Oregon State Disabilities Commission 503-378-2272, or ACLU (American Civil Liberty Union) in Portland, Oregon 503-227-3186 or Disabilities Rights 503-243-2081.

My friend or family member is in jail due to his/her mental illness. How can we help?

The National Association of Protection and Advocacy Systems Inc. The Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law. 202-487-3720 http://www.bazelon.org/

My friend/family member won’t follow recommended treatment. What can I do to make him follow through?

In the United States, noncompliance is not a crime and therefore medication or therapy is not enforceable except in the case of minors and those who are a danger to themselves or others. NAMI offers education programs and support groups that can assist consumers and family members/friends that are living with mental illness. In extreme cases where a person may be a danger to themselves or others, a friend or family member can petition the courts to have the person mandated to obtain treatment (inpatient or outpatient). Your local NAMI will have more information particular to your state laws concerning these procedures, or you can contact the state office.

What is guardianship?

There are many kinds of guardianships available. Check with a trustee lawyer to see which one best fits your situation.

Where can I find a support group in my area?

NAMI offers education programs and support groups that can assist a person and families living with mental illness through the recovery process. Support groups are listed on our Programs and Support webpage. You can also contact us for more information. Our Affiliates and the families involved with the support groups have been through similar experiences and know of resources in your area to help you cope with your or a family member’s illness.

Where can I find housing?

NAMI does not maintain listings of individual treatment facilities or other housing providers. NAMI State offices and local Affiliates may be able to offer some suggestions.

In addition, you may wish to contact the local office of the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). They can provide you with information on the Section 811 Program providing supportive housing for persons living with disabilities.

Where can I go for re-socialization purposes or for rehabilitation services?

The National MHIC of the Center for Mental Health Services (CMHS) has an online database of facilities in each state.

The International Center for Clubhouse Development has an online database of clubhouses where people who have had mental illness can go to rebuild their lives.

The Compass House at 332 W 6th St. is the new clubhouse in Medford, Oregon. For more information call: 541-973-2840. E-mail: info@socompasshouse.org     http://www.socompasshouse.org

The Union Drop in Center: 225 Hillcrest #8, Grants Pass, Oregon For more information call: 541-474-3319

The Medford Drop at 345 N Bartlett St. Suite#102, is a new facility for young adults from ages 14 to 25, in Medford, Oregon   For more information call: 541-690-6056     or email: lauren@youth move.com

Will this medication work better than the one I’m on? Is the combination of medications my doctor prescribed right, Is my dosage too high? Etc.

NAMI’s work focuses on support, education, advocacy and research. We are not a medical facility nor are we qualified to give medical advice about treatment or medication. Please contact your pharmacist, doctor or mental health care professional for guidance on the correct treatment of your specific situation.